Scope and content
┆Personal papers of Maurice Bridgeland mostly consisting of correspondence and reprints of articles and papers grouped by subject and occassionally annotated.
BRIDGELAND/001 Two photocopies of newspaper article “How to up the antis” mentions Bridgeland aged 41
BRIDGELAND/002 Handwritten document, mostly fountain pen, appears to be notes for interview with OLS with some answers added later. Refers to OLS’ “Prisons of the mind” pub 1969 and asks if structure has changed since “Mal Boys” written
BRIDGELAND/003 Handwritten document, notes on paternalism, negative legacy, includes list of “fathers various”: Dr Fitch, Otto Shaw, Lyward, Wills, Sharman, Malcolm, Seel
BRIDGELAND/004 Names Mary Stocks, Simon Rodway, Dr Bradburn re ??? Macmillan, Mrs Potter left 1928-8, M Randall S of F, Reception Centre 1946/7, with DH James. Lady Allen of (?) Hereford
BRIDGELAND/005 Various correspondence, Bridgeland researching history of Dr Ida Saxby and Rest Harrow School
BRIDGELAND/006 Letter from Dr A Weaver, Redland College, 28 Dec 1969, to Bridgeland; “I … received your suggestions”. Refers to “an early chapter on “Historical Backgound”
BRIDGELAND/007 Further correspondence re Ida Saxby.
* 007/01 Letter from TAH Evans dated 17/3/70 addressed “Dear Ron”.
* 007/02 Letter from Dept of Education & Science
* 007/03 Letter Queen’s University of Belfast (George Seth)
* 007/04 Letter from Elisabeth K-P
* 007/05 Letter from University of Manchester
* 007/06 Notes by Bridgeland on Arthur Barron. Ref to Saxby, Wills, Franklin
* 007/07 Letter from The Lady Stocks (Mary Stocks) re Leila Rendel, agreeing to meet with Bridgeland.
* 007/08 Notes, address of Hilde Lion
* 007/09 Letter from Institute of Child Psychology; no knowledge of Rest Harrow Abbey School
* 007/10 Letter from Inner London Education Authority; no knowledge of Ida Saxby
* 007/11 Note to Bridgeland confirming meeting. Signature illegible, address 28 Commercial St, Whitechapel.
* 007/12 Letter from James Lumsden, University of London, confirming appointment for Bridgeland on 2 June 1969
* 007/13 Letter from George Seth re possible sources for information on Saxby
* 007/14 Letter from Aeron Lewis, University College Cardiff, with information about Saxby
* 007/15 Note on University of Liverpool headed paper “also: Dina Rosenblut, Mrs Cyril Franklin” signed Rose
* 007/16 Note to Bridgeland from Ron Gulliford “I have had a letter from TAH Evans…” \[see 007/01
* 007/17 (4 docs) Inner London Education Authority correspondence (internal and with Bridgeland) re Saxby. Includes list of day schools for maladjusted in 1965/67/70.
BRIDGELAND/008 Typewritten page, unsigned, appears to be part of a reviewer’s suggestions for Bridgeland’s book.
BRIDGELAND/009 Two copies of blue booklet from Association of Workers for Maladjusted Children
BRIDGELAND/010 Three copies, orange-covered booklet “Day schools for Maladjusted Children”, an account by a group of head teachers… published by AWMC.
BRIDGELAND/011 Letter from George Allen & Unwin Ltd to Bridgeland. Asks for specimens of the writing of disturbed children together with an outline of the type of book he considers possible.
* 012/01 Brown envelope addressed to Bridgeland marked “IMPORTANT, REFS FOR BOOK ON SPEC TEACHERS”.
* 012/02 Contents of /01, letter from University College, Cardiff 19 Nov 1980 referring to published books of possible interest.
BRIDGELAND/013 Two photocopies of newspaper article “How to up the antis” identical to BRIDGELAND/001.
BRIDGELAND/014 Three typewritten pages captioned M.Bridgeland ‘Maladjusted Muse’ etc. Draft. Pages numbered 31, 32, 33. Includes a poem “The Story of Billy Tinkettle. Written on the outside is “Billy Tink”.
BRIDGELAND/015 Four large pages listing local authority schools and hostels (very incomplete).
BRIDGELAND/016 3rd Annual Report 1965-66, The National Bureau for Co-operation in Child Care.
BRIDGELAND/017 Notebook apparently containing manuscript by Bridgeland. Many pages missing. Numbered 1 on cover.
BRIDGELAND/018 University of Liverpool exam answer book with “Rough Work” written across the cover, containg notes on language.
BRIDGELAND/019 Manila folder containing loose pages of manuscript for a book, some typewritten and slips of paper with source references.
BRIDGELAND/020 Manila folder containing slips of paper with source references for a book.
BRIDGELAND/021 Copy of “Educational Research News, May 1970
BRIDGELAND/022 Four punched cards from Rober Maxwell Documentation and Supply Centre, each giving details of a publication related to mental health.
BRIDGELAND/023 Letter from E & S Livingstone Ltd, promoting a book “Tutors and their Students” by Dr Myre Sim.
BRIDGELAND/024 University of Liverpool School of Education. Selected additions to the stock of the library Jan 1970.
BRIDGELAND/025 University of Liverpool School of Education. Selected additions to the stock of the library Feb 1970.
BRIDGELAND/026 Eight pages of manuscript dealing with Mrs Lucy Francis, Kingsmuir School.
BRIDGELAND/027 Grey envelope from CIBA Journal, Basel. Addressed to Maurice Bridgeland, Department of Education, Liverpool University, Liverpool, England. Contains 3 photographs taken at Red Hill School during the 1960s, probably 1962. Photographs all carry a stamp on the rear, Copyright Keystone Press Agency Limited, Red Lion Court, Fleet Street, London EC4.
* 027/01 B/W Photograph. Two boys on stairway looking at painting of bathtime
* 027/02 B/W Photograph. Group of nine boys walking in front of Red Hill School building
* 027/03 B/W Photograph. Otto Shaw seated in front of Ralph Gee's painting of Red Hill School
BRIDGELAND/028 University of Liverpool School of Education list of books available in the Library, Special Subject List 35, The Education of Maladjusted Children.
BRIDGELAND/029 Further copy of University of Liverpool School of Education list of books available in the Library, Special Subject List 35, The Education of Maladjusted Children.
BRIDGELAND/030 Further copy of University of Liverpool School of Education list of books available in the Library, Special Subject List 35, The Education of Maladjusted Children.
BRIDGELAND/031 University of Liverpool School of Education list of books available in the Library, Special Subject list 51, Psychology and Education.
BRIDGELAND/032 University of Liverpool School of Education list of books available in the Library, Special Subject list 50, Child Development.
BRIDGELAND/033 Handwritten single page list of reference books. Headed “D.S.E. (Mailand)”.
BRIDGELAND/034 Handwritten single page of Jobs, Letters, and music albums.
BRIDGELAND/035 Handwritten single page list of books, headed “Culturally Deprived Children”. Pencil note at top “50 copies”.
BRIDGELAND/036 Handwritten two page list of books, headed “Handicapped Children and their families”.
BRIDGELAND/037 Flyer from Allen & Unwin Autumn 1970 listing new books on Psychology.
BRIDGELAND/038 Order form, John Wiley & Sons Ltd, Orbit molecular models.
BRIDGELAND/039 Flyer from Sweet & Maxwell for “The Psychological Assessment of Mental and Physical Handicaps”.
BRIDGELAND/040 Two pages of manuscript for Bridgeland’s book? Mentions Otto Shaw and George Lyward.
BRIDGELAND/041 Prospectus for New Barns School, Toddington.
BRIDGELAND/042 Notes for typist.
BRIDGELAND/043 Letter to Bridgeland from Dorothy Hamilton, stating that George Lyward objected to being written about.
BRIDGELAND/044 Two pages of notes regarding Rest Harrow Abbey School.
BRIDGELAND/045 Partial handwritten case study with projections of likely response by Mrs Docker-Drysdale, Wills, and Shaw.
BRIDGELAND/046 Fragment listing two publications, by Mrs Evans and Miss Barlow.
BRIDGELAND/047 Note from (indecipherable) stating “Though I had a school in Haslemere… I do not remember the lady you mention”.
BRIDGELAND/048 “The Charter of the Caldecott Community”, handwritten (not by Bridgeland) clipped to a page in Bridgeland’s hand with additions to the Charter.
BRIDGELAND/048 University of Liverpool list of selected topics received Feb and March 1969.
BRIDGELAND/049 Programme for AWMC Study Conference, Easter 1969 “Training or Treating Disturbed Children?”.
BRIDGELAND/050 Letter from Mrs Docker-Drysdale to Bridgeland dated 30 May 1969. Thanks him for nice letter about her book.
BRIDGELAND/051 Letter from George Seth, Queen’s University of Belfast, to Bridgeland, referring to Evacuation Service papers, which accompanied the letter but were to be returned to Seth.
BRIDGELAND/052 Typed list of names (inc Bridgeland), headed “Simon Rodway: 2”.
BRIDGELAND/053 Fragment of manuscript for Bridgeland’s book p118. Ref to Aichorn.
BRIDGELAND/054 Page of manuscript p143. Ref to Hawspur and Education Act.
BRIDGELAND/055 Transcript of Presidential Address given to the 74th annual conference of the Friends Guild of Teachers, by Godfrey Wicksteed.
BRIDGELAND/056 Business card of Laurence Bridgeland, TCM practitioner. Wriiten on the reverse is “Robin Kent 02085809171 RE Dr Fitch”.
BRIDGELAND/057 4 pages manuscript in red ink, begins “When I was first appointed to a teaching post in a Scottish Senior Secondary School…”.
BRIDGELAND/058 Undated (pre-1972) prospectus for AWMC.
BRIDGELAND/059 Letter from David Wills to Bridgeland, “I have now written the Preface…”.
BRIDGELAND/060 Letter from David Wills to Bridgeland, “I am very much hoping to do the Preface…”.
BRIDGELAND/061 Table listing structure and content of a book.
BRIDGELAND/062 Partial Table of Contents for Bridgeland’s book.
BRIDGELAND/063 Typed draft of Chapter 10, Part Five, George Lyward. Headed “Part Five. Father Figures”.
BRIDGELAND/064 Brief notes. Begins “1. As before”.
BRIDGELAND/065 List of publications, 2 pages. Ist headed “Dip Ed re DSE”, 2nd headed “OPTION”.
BRIDGELAND/066 14 pages of typed draft of Chapter titled “Some 20th Century Originals”.
BRIDGELAND/067 Typed draft of references for Part Five, Chapter 10.
BRIDGELAND/068 Printed booklet titled “Peredur Appeal”. Inside are 2 copies of a flyer for Rudolph Steiner Education, and list by Bridgeland of references re Steiner.
BRIDGELAND/069 AWMC South-East branch programme 1977/78.
BRIDGELAND/070 Flyer from Uni Books, “Education Psychology and Children” will be published Sept 1969. Handwritten note “Desk copy?” at top.
BRIDGELAND/071 4 handwritten pages, draft of book.
BRIDGELAND/072 Typed page, numbered 125. Refers to Wills.
BRIDGELAND/073 4 typed pages of biographical notes on Homer Lane.
BRIDGELAND/074 2 handwritten pages, early draft for the book.
BRIDGELAND/075 Letter from the Hon Sec of AWMC (Otto Shaw) announcing the AGM on 14 March 1953, and attached agenda.
BRIDGELAND/076 Letter from the Hon Sec of AWMC (Otto Shaw) announcing the general meeting on 30 June 1951, and attached agenda.
BRIDGELAND/077 Leaflet from AWMC, including Rules and activities in 1951. Lists Officers and Committee members.
BRIDGELAND/078 Booklet from AWMC, report on activities during 1951 – 1953. Lists Officers and Committee members.
BRIDGELAND/079 Typed list of Rules for AWMC, with handwritten list of officers for 1951 – 2.
BRIDGELAND/080 Letter from Otto L Shaw, Hon Secretary of the AWMC, November 1960, mentioning some of the discussions of the meeting on 22 October.
BRIDGELAND/081 Leaflet from AWMC. Includes Aims and objects, Officers, summaries of meetings held and courses during 1953 – 56.
BRIDGELAND/082 6 pages of paste-up manuscript, beginning page 80, dealing with A S Neill.
BRIDGELAND/083 List of Conference staff and lecturers, and list of delegates, 1969 AWMC Easter Conference.
BRIDGELAND/084 Pasted-up manuscript dealing with Scotland.
BRIDGELAND/085 2 typed pages, draft for book, Part Five “Contrasting Communities”.
BRIDGELAND/086 Grey manila folder, “BRIT” written outside.
* 086/01 List of tasks; begins “Order books etc”.
* 086/02 List of names, headed “Maurice Bridgeland, Group 11, Room no 123”.
* 086/03 List of reference publications.
* 086/04 Incomplete letter from Midhurst Grammar School, begins “My Dear Maurice”, dated 2/12/1966.
* 086/05 Eight of Educational Pioneers Questionnaire. Names LBC Lucas, J Edward Seel, Sharmin Walter George (Deceased), Arthur Alfred Fitch, Frederick Henry Dodd (Deceased), AS Neill, Kenneth Barnes, W. David Wills.
* 086/06 Typed page numbered 9, discussing distinctions between different forms of writing.
* 086/07 University of Liverpool, books available in the library, Special Subject list no 35, The Education of Maladjusted Children.
* 086/08 Handwritten page headed “Child Studies”. Miss Balrain. Appears to describe a case study.
* 086/09 Typed page no. 26. Refers to subjective writing.
* 086/10 Letter to Bridgeland from G William Johnson dated 10/11/66 referring to “your proposed thesis”.
* 086/11 Letter to Bridgeland from the Secretary, Scottish Council for Research in Education, suggesting sources of research material.
* 086/12 Brief letter from AS Neill, “Dear Maurice… For years S’hill has not specialised in problem kids”.
* 086/13 Letter from Kenneth Barnes at Wennington School “I am enclosing your questionnaire…” (see 086/05) suggesting further sources.
* 086/14 Letter from F G Lennhoff, Shotton Hall, suggesting that Bridgeland spends time in pioneer schools or therapeutic communities before beginning his academic work.
* 086/15 Letter from W S Rennie at Department of Education and Science, regretting his inability to trace the list of schools for nervous difficult or retarded children referred to in the Underwood Report.
* 086/16 List of Researches in Education and Educational Psychology presented for degree in Scottish Universities (see 086/11), 1965.
* 086/17 List of Researches in Education and Educational Psychology presented for degree in Scottish Universities (see 086/11), 1964.
* 086/18 List of Researches in Education and Educational Psychology presented for degree in Scottish Universities (see 086/11), 1963.
* 086/19 List of Researches in Education and Educational Psychology presented for degree in Scottish Universities (see 086/11), 1962.
* 086/20 List of Researches in Education and Educational Psychology presented for degree in Scottish Universities (see 086/11), 1958 to 1961.
* 086/21 2 typed copies plus manuscript, first page of Bridgeland thesis submitted May 1967.
* 086/22 Envelope addressed to Mr Maurice Bridgeland, Lendrick Muir, Rumbling Bridge, Kinross. Posted Gloucester, 28 March 1967.
* 086/23 Letter from Hon Sec of AWMC, Otto Shaw, enclosing list of members and schools.
* 086/24 The Education of Maladjusted Children, Maurice Chazan. Outline and references.
* 086/25 Letter from W David Wills, 24 November 1966. Apparent response to questionnaire (see 086/05), and giving views on Dodds, Johnston, Rendel, Shaw, Lyward, Docker-Drysdale as further sources.
* 086/026 List of reference sources.
* 086/027 Typed list of references, The Education of Maladjusted Children.
* 086/028 Envelope addressed to Mr M Bridgeland, 301 Strathmartine Road, DUNDEE, Scotland. Has “CHAZAN” written on the reverse.
* 086/029 Letter from widow of Arthur Fitch, 26 November 1966, who has filled in some parts of the form and includes other items which she wants returned.
* 086/030 Further letter from widow Mrs Joan Fitch, 1st December 1966, expressing pleasure that the stuff she sent is going to be useful, and suggesting other sources.
* 086/031 Typed biographical page on William Henry Hunt, d 1930.
* 086/032 Letter from Kathleen Dodd, 13/2/67, who has filled in the questionnaire relating to her husband, adding her views and a further source.
* 086/033 Letter from Kathleen Dodd, 22/2/67, accompanying a loan of her husband’s book, insisting it is returned.
* 086/034 Letter from J Edward Seel, 24/11/66.
* 086/035 AWMC Scottish Division report of annual meeting 1966.
* 086/036 Envelope addressed to Maurice Bridgeland, 301 Strathmartine Road, Dundee, Scotland.
* 086/037 Paste-up list of reference publications.Handwritten.
BRIDGELAND/087 Oxford GCE O Level paper, English Language, paper 1. 1958
BRIDGELAND/088 Pall Mall New books brochure, Spring/Summer 1970
BRIDGELAND/089 2 pages plus part page of manuscript, the complete pages numbered 173 & 174
BRIDGELAND/090 Single line cut from a typed page, “21. Balbernie, R. “Residential Work with Children”.
BRIDGELAND/091 Buff manila folder.
* 091/01 University of Liverpool School of Education Special Subject list No. 43 with pencil annotations
* 091/02 University of Liverpool School of Education Special Subject list No. 43
* 091/03 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Periodicals for Teachers
* 091/04 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Topics from Periodicals received during March 1970, New Series 11.
* 091/05 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Topics from Periodicals received during April 1970, New Series 12.
* 091/06 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Topics from Periodicals received during May 1970, New Series 13.
* 091/07 University of Liverpool School of Education. Child Development. List of books available in the Library.
* 091/08 University of Liverpool School of Education. Child Development. List of books available in the Library.
* 091/09 University of Liverpool School of Education. Child Development. List of books available in the Library.
* 091/10 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Topics from Periodicals received during June 1970, New Series 14.
* 091/11 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Topics from Periodicals received during April 1970, New Series 12.
* 091/12 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Topics from Periodicals received during May 1970, New Series 13.
* 091/13 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Topics from Periodicals received during March 1970, New Series 11.
* 091/14 List of references. Dated 2.11.64.
* 091/15 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; Psychology and Social Research.
* 091/16 University of Liverpool School of Education. The Education of Maladjusted Children. A list of books available in the Library (2 pages).
BRIDGELAND/092 Buff manila folder containing lists of reference books, many cut into individual lines, some typewritten, some cut from a handwritten but spirit duplicated page. BRIDGELAND/090 is perhaps a part of this item.
BRIDGELAND/093 Handwritten list of references headed “References Part Five. George Lyward”. Pages numbered 70, 71, and 73.
BRIDGELAND/094 Single partial page bibliography.
BRIDGELAND/095 Manuscript for “Part Five. Father Figures”.
BRIDGELAND/096 Single page manuscript notes.
BRIDGELAND/097 Copy of Mental Health (Scotland) Act, 1960. HMSO.
BRIDGELAND/098 Handwritten notes for “Part 4. The New Education & the New P”
BRIDGELAND/099 Partial page, handwritten text dealing with Scotland.
BRIDGELAND/100 Foolscap page with notes “N.B. Poem onChurch…”
BRIDGELAND/101 19 typewritten (carbon copy) pages dealing with Lyward..
BRIDGELAND/102 Grey manila folder, “SCOTLAND” written by hand.
* 102/01 Page with “SCOTLAND” handwritten
* 102/02 Page headed SCOTLAND, notes for MS. Simple arithmetic divisions on back.
* 102/03 Gummed label printed with BOOKS – WITH CARE and address of The National Central Library, Store Street, London WC1.
* 102/04 Letter beginning “Dear Maurice” and signed “Doris”.
* 102/05 Typed page, apparently comments by David Wills in response to a draft of MB’s book
* 102/06 Notes “Personality P.E.T. p38 H Camp AWMC”.
* 102/07 Letter from David H Millar to Bridgeland (at DUNDEE address) referring to Dr Guthrie’s Boys School and attached to a copy of the Annual Report of the school for y/e 31 March 1964.
* 102/08 Clipping from The Guardian, Feb 23 1968. Article headed “Little provision for the maladjusted child in Scotland”.
* 102/09 Letter from the Social Work Services Group, Edinburgh, dated 28.7.69, begins “Dear Maurice”, signed by Sidney Hill.
* 102/10 Notes on history of provision in Scotland.
* 102/11 Letter from Bridgeland at University of Liverpool, begins “Dear Alexandra. Requests details of history of Harmeny and Nerston. Undated but concludes “Best wishes to you all for 1970”.
* 102/12 Reprint from the Scottish Educational Journal “A school for the ‘odd man out’” (Lendrick Muir).
* 102/13 Note “the majority have maladjustment thrust upon them”.
* 102/14 Draft dealing with Nerston and The Barns post-war.
* 102/15 Letter dated 21 March 1968 from David Wills, begins “Dear Maurice”. “I am returning your manuscript…”.
* 102/16 Letter from Mrs Sheena Maxwell, Royal Hospital for sick children, to Bridgeland. Refers to MB’s letter to Harry McNair, Secretary to the AWMC.
BRIDGELAND/103 Blue manila folder headed “CORRESPONDENCE”.
* 103/01 Envelope addressed to Bridgeland at Liverpool. Various notes in pencil on outside, “LYWARD” written boldly in black ink. No postage stamp.
* 103/02 Slip from Finchden Manor dated 26 July 1970 “Dear Mr Bridgeland, Mr Lyward intended that this letter should be sent to you…” signed J. O’Brien.
* 103/03 Handwritten letter from Lyward dated 5 July 1970. Includes “I was very angry when I heard that you had written about me without informing me first.” \[see BRIDGELAND/043\]. He had been “shocked to find a quotation of Otto Shaw’s at the top of the article about Finchden”.
* 103/04 Handwritten letter from Lyward dated 6 July 1970, continuing to state that the pages about Finchden are misleading. A marginal note states “Come see me will you? I have long ceased to be angry with you, merely a little sad!”
* 103/05 Letter from T H Pear, Shirkoak House, Ashford, Kent to “Dear Mr Bridgeland”. Apparent response to questions about Dr Saxby.
* 103/06 Typed list of Government Reports, 1841 – 1951.
* 103/07 Handwritten list of reference books with brief comments.
* 103/08 Pre-paid reply envelope from RAF Careers Office, Gloucester.
* 103/09 Contents of 103/08; Request from Office Commander, RAF careers information office, for a character reference for a Cathryn Ann John.
* 103/10 List of officers and members of AWMC, April 1965.
* 103/11 2 pages of manuscript dealing with Caldecott Community.
BRIDGELAND/104 Empty University of Liverpool envelope addressed to M. Bridgeland Esq, School of Education.
BRIDGELAND/105 Manila folder headed “ASSESSMENT”.
* 105/01 Notes for children’s regional planning committee.
* 105/02 2 pages of manuscript headed WEAVER and Chap 2 The Underwood Report.
* 105/03 3 pages of manuscript headed A. Weaver. Has “please do not remove” written on the face.
* 105/04 Essay (?) dated September 1969 titled “Some questions related to provisions for the education of maladjusted children”. Appears to be specific to Liverpool. Unsigned.
* 105/05 Slip of paper with “Reluctant Rebs” written in red – possible subject divider?
* 105/06 Slip cut from a larger page, refers to “p108/9 Cheltenham Conference NEF 1936” and on reverse to “63 Norman McMunn”.
* 105/07 3 pages of manuscript, listing sources, beginning with “The Maladjusted Child – The Underwood Report”.
* 105/08 Handwritten outline for the book.
BRIDGELAND/106 Letter from W David Wills addressed to Bridgeland at Dundee. “Thank you for your letter enquiring about William Henry Hunt”.
BRIDGELAND/107 Handwritten note headed “The Scottish Scene
BRIDGELAND/108 Handwritten note beginning “Who’s Who – Anna Freud”.
BRIDGELAND/109 Blank foolscap page.
BRIDGELAND/110 Handwritten note about Scotland.
BRIDGELAND/111 Scrap of paper with carbon copy from a typewritten letter “Dear Matthew”.
BRIDGELAND/112 Scrap of paper with carbon copy from a typewritten letter “Dear Matthew”.
BRIDGELAND/113 Blank ruled quarto page.
BRIDGELAND/114 Handwritten page, numbered 2. Marginal note in red “E”across both sides.
BRIDGELAND/115 Page of manuscript pasted to a quarto page. Biographical notes on Fitch.
BRIDGELAND/116 Blank ruled quarto page.
BRIDGELAND/117 Part page of manuscript. Mentions Lendrick Muir.
BRIDGELAND/118 Note headed “Hospital School increase 53”
BRIDGELAND/119 Poem by Beverley Balaban (11 years).
BRIDGELAND/120 Part page of manuscript dealing with Hawkspur Camp.
BRIDGELAND/121 Part page of biographical manuscript. Apparently dealing with Will. Has a small piece of paper with “LANE H. 1928” pasted to lower edge.
BRIDGELAND/122 Part page of manuscript numbered 123. Appears to be about David Wills.
BRIDGELAND/123 4 handwritten pages headed “Interview with Lady Stocks. Discusses Caldecott Community. Marginal letters in red.
BRIDGELAND/125 Grey manila folder marked “AWMC”. Empty.
BRIDGELAND/126 5 pages headed “POINTS FROM ESSAYS”, a note “Backward talk” added in red.
BRIDGELAND/127 4 pages of notes on book by Boyd W & Rawson W, “The Story of the New Education”, Heinemann 1965.
BRIDGELAND/128/01 List of “People to contact”.
* 128/02 List of “Books to read” (otherwise blank).
* 128/03 List of “Letters to write” (otherwise blank).
BRIDGELAND/129 Page of notes on a book by Conger & Miller “Personality, Social Class & Delinquency” N.Y. 1966.
BRIDGELAND/130 Typed list of Government Reports (1841 -1951).
BRIDGELAND/131 “Verbal Reasoning Test 59” printed test booklet. Not filled out, but has a colomn of numbers pencilled on the first page “5.50, 6.5, 6.20, 6.35”
BRIDGELAND/132 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; Education in Great Britain”. List 105. July 1969.
BRIDGELAND/133 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; Physical Education. List 95, September 1968.
BRIDGELAND/134 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; Education in Great Britain”. List 87. January 1968.
BRIDGELAND/135 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; Education Overseas”. List 102. April 1969.
BRIDGELAND/136 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; Education in Great Britain”. List 108. October 1969.
BRIDGELAND/137 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; British Education”. List 107. September 1969.
BRIDGELAND/138 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; History of Education”. List 103. May 1969.
BRIDGELAND/139 University of Liverpool School of Education list of Selected Additions to the Stock of the Library; Education in Britain”. List 98. December 1968.
BRIDGELAND/140 Printed test booklet “Otis self-administering tests of mental ability” 2 copies, both unused.
BRIDGELAND/141 Printed test booklet “Duplex series of ability tests: No 3”. Unused.
BRIDGELAND/142 Printed test booklet (single page) “Preliminary Test 9”. Unused.
* 143/01 4 page draft for Part five, Chapter 10 of MB’s book, written in an exam answer book from Wolsey Hall.
* 143/02 Continuation of BRIDGELAND/143/01, 4 page draft for Part five, Chapter 10 of MB’s book, written in an exam answer book from Wolsey Hall.
BRIDGELAND/144 Typed transcript of an article in The Times Educational Supplement By Dr Edna Oakeshott.
BRIDGELAND/145 Cutting from The Guardian containing Letters to the Editor about “State Care for Children”.
BRIDGELAND/146 Cutting from The Guardian Thurs July 24 1969, article headed “A bill for the Future”.
BRIDGELAND/147 Cutting from The Guardian Weds January 21 1970, article headed “Their Bomb Disposal School” about Epping House.
BRIDGELAND/148 Cutting from The Times Educational Supplement, Friday Feb 7 1964, article headed “The Snowball of Disturbance” by Edna Oakeshott. (See BRIDGELAND/144).
BRIDGELAND/149 Booklet from the Planned Environment Therapy Trust, Sussex, titled The Use and Misuse of Planned Environment Therapy by Marjorie E Franklin.
BRIDGELAND/150 Chaigeley School Annual Report 1963.
BRIDGELAND/151 Chaigeley School Annual Report 1969.
BRIDGELAND/152 ‘To-do’ list; publications, details such as Shaw’s initials, etc.
BRIDGELAND/153 Letter from Ethel Davies of the Caldecott Community thanking Bridgeland for the typescript of his chapter on Leila Rendel. (2 pages).
BRIDGELAND/154 Unused University of Liverpool letterhead.
BRIDGELAND/155 Chaigeley School Annual Report 1963.
BRIDGELAND/156 4 page draft for part of MB’s book, written in an exam answer book from Wolsey Hall. Refers to Lyward, pages numbered 9 to 12. Possible continuation of BRIDGELAND/143/02.
BRIDGELAND/157 Notes about infatuation and love.
BRIDGELAND/158 Letter dated 20 Jan 1969 from R G Davis-Poynter at MacGibbon & Kee.
BRIDGELAND/159 Section of The Sunday Times, 1 Dec 1968, contains an article about Bridgeland captioned “How to up the antis”.
BRIDGELAND/160 10 photocopies of BRIDGELAND/159.
BRIDGELAND/161 Letter dated 20 March 1969 from Jacqueline Reynolds at Curtis Brown Ltd to Bridgeland, refers to Davis-Poynter and suggests length of a book on maladjusted children.
BRIDGELAND/162 Letter dated 24 March 1969 from Jacqueline Reynolds at Curtis Brown Ltd to Bridgeland, regarding publication by Staples Press rather than MacGibbon & Kee. Refers to Pioneer book and another book.
BRIDGELAND/163 Bundle of carbon copies in Bridgeland’s hand, containing prose and poetry. Appears to be headed “(…) of work on my ‘Maladjusted Muse’”.
BRIDGELAND/164 Letter dated 8 Jan 1969 from Christopher Denyer at CIBA Journal, Basle to Bridgeland, mentioning his article in the Sunday Times and suggesting a selection of poems with a commentary by Bridgeland.
BRIDGELAND/165 Letter dated 3 March 1969 from R G Davis Poynter of MacGibbon & Kee to Bridgeland, asking for conformation that material submitted was only a sample of the final book.
BRIDGELAND/166 Letter dated 8 January 1969 from Jacqueline Reynolds at Curtis Brown Ltd to Bridgeland, refers to Davis-Poynter and discusses possible subjects for books.
BRIDGELAND/167 Letter dated 12 Feb 1969 from secretary to R G Davis-Poynter of MacGibbon & Kee to Bridgeland, confirming receipt of his letter.
BRIDGELAND/168 Letter dated 13 Feb 1969 from Jacqueline Reynolds at Curtis Brown Ltd to Bridgeland, thanking him for manuscripts.
BRIDGELAND/169 Undated handwritten letter to Bridgeland from The Sunday Times, signature illegible, suggesting Jacqueline Reynolds as an agent.
BRIDGELAND/170 Envelope from Norwich Union Insurance addressed to Bridgeland, containing 2 handwritten poems and on the obverse 3 typed lines.
BRIDGELAND/171 Letter dated 22 March 1971 from Robert Coates at Staples Press to Bridgeland, giving schedule for proofs of Pioneer Work with Maladjusted Children.
BRIDGELAND/172 “About myself” by Bridgeland, states “currently working on a book about the treatment of maladjusted children. Expected to be published… in 1970”.
BRIDGELAND/173 Essays by Ian Smart, IIIA English, dated 29 June 1965.
BRIDGELAND/174 Letter dated 23 May 1969 from secretary to Jacqueline Reynolds at Curtis Brown Ltd to Bridgeland, asking for 2 typescripts of Pioneer Work so they can send one to America.
BRIDGELAND/175 2 page letter to Bridgeland from Christopher Denyer at CIBA Journal thanking him for the material for his “Maladjusted Muse”.
BRIDGELAND/176 Letter from Bridgeland, June 23rd 1970, to Reg; “At last, a completed work, edited and corrected at least five times…”
BRIDGELAND/177 2 pages of manuscript numbered 112 and 113. Headed Chapter 7, War and Evacuation
BRIDGELAND/178 Single page of manuscript headed Chapter Eight State Intervention.
BRIDGELAND/179 3 pages of manuscript headed Chapter Ten The Scottish Scene. Numbered 159, 160, 161.
BRIDGELAND/180 Single page of manuscript, biography of Leila Rendel
BRIDGELAND/181 Single page of manuscript. No heading or numbering. Refers to war and evacuation.
BRIDGELAND/182 Single page of manuscript headed “Educational Psychology”.
BRIDGELAND/183 Notes on structure for section on Caldecott.
BRIDGELAND/184 Notes and list of contacts for section on Caldecott.
BRIDGELAND/185 Obituary for Leila Rendel.
BRIDGELAND/186 Letter to Bridgeland for E Davies of Caldecott, March 17 1969. Answering his letter instead of Miss Rendel as she died suddenly. Would it be possible for him to visit at the beginning of next term.
BRIDGELAND/187 Notes on cost of research.
BRIDGELAND/188 Booklet from AWMC.
BRIDGELAND/189 List of books requested for reference.
BRIDGELAND/190 Notes headed “SMALLDRIDGE” with quotations from Shields, Stott, Shields, Lennhoff.
BRIDGELAND/191 Double foolscap ruled pages containing statistical data from various sources for Chapter 1 Appendices.
BRIDGELAND/192 Booklet about Wennington,reprinted from “Independent Progressive Schools”, published by Hutchinson with marginal notes by Bridgeland. Written by Kenneth Barnes.
BRIDGELAND/193 PIONEER WORK WITH MALADJUSTED ADOLESCENTS. OUTLINE AND THESIS.
BRIDGELAND/194 Proposal for a postgrad course at Liverpool in educational psychology.
BRIDGELAND/195 A belated obituary for “The Little Commonwealth” from the BPS bulletin.
BRIDGELAND/196 University of Liverpool question paper on Educational Psychology, 18 June 1969.
BRIDGELAND/197 Notes on Training, Coercion, and others.
BRIDGELAND/198 Apparent notes on a book “Reformatory Schools”.
BRIDGELAND/199 Photocopy of The Times Ed Supp, Jan 6 1914. Article about “The Little Commonwealth”.
BRIDGELAND/200 Letter from AWMC (Doris Holden) giving Bridgeland contact details for Mr George Greaves at Manchester University.
BRIDGELAND/201 Handwritten page, headed “Deprived & Delinquent Depraved”
BRIDGELAND/202 2 different versions of same text, beginning “community for delinquent and disturbed…”or “delinquent, deprived and disturbed…”
BRIDGELAND/203 3 pages of manuscript beginning “under achieving at school…”. Mentions Rendel, Hawkspur, Little Commonwealth
BRIDGELAND/204 2 pages headed Emotional Sustenance.
BRIDGELAND/205 Booklet from the Steiner Schools “A practical training in thecare of maladjusted children”.
BRIDGELAND/206 Postcard to Bridgeland posted 4 March 1970 from The Rev Brother Owen; “Could I have the tapes back please?”
BRIDGELAND/207 Fragment of manuscript
BRIDGELAND/208 6 pages on Neill & Summerhil
BRIDGELAND/209 Page of manuscript, references to writers on individual symptoms.
BRIDGELAND/210 Quarto page with note “Add Sysonby”.
BRIDGELAND/211 Reprint from Uni Coll of Swansea Education Journal, 1966: “Teaching Maladjusted Children” by Maurice Chazan.
BRIDGELAND/212 14 pages dealing with Richard Balbenie. Marginal note to check biographical details.
BRIDGELAND/213 Page of manuscript beginning with reference to F. J. Schonell\[?\]
BRIDGELAND/214 Letter from David Wills, 12 Dec 1966; he has no objection to filling in Bridgeland’s questionnaire. “FINISHED” on obverse.
BRIDGELAND/215 Notebook captioned AWMC. Lists of members, 1955 to 1959.
BRIDGELAND/216 AWMC Report of the 1958 Study Conference April 1958. Contains a marker with “Learning and Mald Ch” in Bridgeland’s hand, on a compliments slip from River House School, Solihull.
BRIDGELAND/217 Blue ruled quarto notebook . Name and address inside fornt cover; M Bridgeland, Queen’s College, Dundee, followed by Lendrick Muir School, Rumbling Bridge, Kinross. Caption “History of Education, etc, and a list of publications that have been analysed. Contents compare UK and other educational systems.
BRIDGELAND/218 Maroon ruled foolscap notebook. Analysis of various publications. Label on front cover gives a contents list; front, begins with extract from the Hadlow Report; back, begins with Morphology. Includes some loose papers. One page apparently bookmarked with a fragment of a blotter.
BRIDGELAND/219 Booklet of November 1963 titled “Offprint from Educational Research – A Review for Teachers and all concerned with Progress in Education”. Within the booklet is a further booklet, the eighth newsletter of AWMC, March 1967, and within that are 6 handwritten pages. The first is headed “ASSESSMENT”, and the first line is “Shaw’s results – see \[unclear\]” followed by a reference “Sh. P.M. 80(1)”, which might be a reference to Shaw’s “Prisons of the Mind”.
BRIDGELAND/220 Typewritten copy of the Teachers’ Advisory Committee of Enquiry on Special Education, Report of Sub-Committee on Maladjusted Children. 6 pages.
BRIDGELAND/221 CV of Walter George Sharman. Date around 1950. Typed, foolscap.
BRIDGELAND/222 Handwritten quarto page appears to be a playlet using characters to represent psychological concepts, e.g. SUPREGO, THID.
BRIDGELAND/223 Duplicated booklet of poems titled “BRECKENBROUGH CHRISTMAS”. Undated but probably 1960s/70s.
BRIDGELAND/224 Reader’s Report on PIONEER WORK WITH THE MALADJUSTED by Maurice Bridgeland.
BRIDGELAND/225 Photocopy of part of a printed list of special schools.
BRIDGELAND/225 2 page List of contacts, headed March 28th p.m. Begins BARRON.
BRIDGELAND/226 Oxford GCE O level English language paper, Summer 1958.
BRIDGELAND/227 Handwritten page apparently manuscript of Bridegeland’s book, page 162.
BRIDGELAND/228 Pink manila folder marked “P.E.T.”, “FREUD”, “D-D”.
* 228/01 Notes on planned environment therapy.
* 228/02 Handwritten outline (chapter titles) for the book.
* 228/03 As 228/02, but different.
* 228/04 As 228/02, but different.
* 228/05 As 228/02, but different.
* 228/06 Letter from Arthur Barron, begins “Dear Maurice”, signed “Bunny”. Dated 10 December 1969. Gives detailsof issues at Q camps. Attached is the text of an advertisement for a residential head for a special school.
* 228/07 Notes on P.E.T. with references to AWMC publications.
* 228/08 Biographical notes on Dr Marjorie Franklin.
* 228/09 Biographical notes on Barbara Docker-Drysdale. (6 pages)
* 228/10 Quarto ruled page with “FREUD” in red, possibly a file separator.
* 228/11 Summary of a paper by Docker-Drysdale, 1960.
* 228/12 Summary of a paper by Docker-Drysdale, 1958.
* 228/13 Summary of a paper “Therapy in Child Care”, 1968. Reference to history of Mulberry Bush.
* 228/14 Summary of “The provision of primary experience in a therapeutic school, 1966”.
* 228/15 Biographical notes, possibly Docker-Drysdale.
BRIDGELAND/229 Buff manila wallet. Label in MB’s sript “Miss P. Smalldrige D.S.E.” Written in another hand “Diploma in Special Education 1968 – 69, Phyllis Smalldridge”. Contains documents relating to a work by Smalldridge. These include personal data relating to named individual children.
* 229/01 Bibliography.
* 229/02 Footnotes (continued).
* 229/03 Acknowledgement.
* 229/04 “Appendix A Results of the Bristol Social Adjustment Guides used at Westbourne School”. Tabulated diagnostic scores for multiple children
* 229/05 Appendix A Bristol Social Adjustment Guides – 1 & 2. Diagnostic form for a named child.
* 229/06 Appendix B. Prediction of delinquency for a named child.
* 229/07 Appendix B Bristol Social Adjustment Guides Delinquency Prediction Instrument for a named child.
* 229/08 Appendix B Bristol Social Adjustment Guides – 1 & 2. Diagnostic form for a named child.
BRIDGELAND/230 Typed analysis of Poplar Bank School by D G P Johnston, Diploma is Special Education 1968 – 1969.
BRIDGELAND/231 Cutting from The Guardian, July 22 1969. Article headed “No room for the psychopath child”. Paragraph referring to a new co-educational approved school to be opened in the spring of 1970 near London has been highlighted in the margin.
BRIDGELAND/232 Handwritten extract from Robin Pedley – “Comprehensive Education. A New Approach”.
BRIDGELAND/233 Typed list of suggested reading on Maladjusted Children dated “)ct 64 PJ”.
BRIDGELAND/234 Newspaper cutting headed “Boys take A levels at Borstal”.
BRIDGELAND/235 Extract from The Guardian July 23 1969. Includes an article titled “No schools for scandal” about approved schools, and “A wolf in Old Girl’s clothing” discussing the role of boarding schools.
BRIDGELAND/236 Grey exercise book, numbered 2. Appears to contain drafts of pages 48 – 68.
BRIDGELAND/237 Booklet “Day Schools for Maladjusted Children. An Account by a Group of Head Teachers…”published by AWMC March 1970.
BRIDGELAND/238 Booklet “Q Camp” published by PETT, 1966. Has marginal highlighting and notes.
BRIDGELAND/239 Booklet “Therapeutic Education” published by AWMC and ATMC, autumn 1969. Includes an obituary for Leila Rendell by Simon Rodway. Marginal highlighting and notes.
BRIDGELAND/240 Booklet “Therapeutic Education” published by AWMC and ATMC, Spring 1970.
BRIDGELAND/241 Booklet “Handicapped Children in Britain”, Special subject list no. 30,from The Library Association, 1959.
BRIDGELAND/242 Letter from Miss K Blythen, Educational Psychologist, Somerset County Council, to Bridgeland, with attached notes, confirming that an LEA school for maladjusted boys was established under a Mr Murphy around 1941, financed by the LCC.
BRIDGELAND/243 Photocopy of pp240 – 241 from the Friends’ Guild of Teachers Conference of educational associations, with underlining and marginal notes.
BRIDGELAND/244 Letter dated 28 August 1969 from Curtis Brown Ltd to Bridgeland asking if he would like to contribute to Marshall Cavendish’s “The Child and His World” on the subject “Lying, cheating and stealing”.
BRIDGELAND/245 Typewritten MS by Bridgeland “Lying, Cheating, and Stealing”.
BRIDGELAND/246 5 handwritten pages, first headed “THEORY”. Reference to Steiner and Joan RUDEL.
BRIDGELAND/247 Page of notes relating to community structure
BRIDGELAND/248 Handwritten MS Chapter Three “Definition of Pioneer”.
BRIDGELAND/249 Letter from Marshall Cavendish to Bridgeland “enclosing our edited version of the feature you contributed to our encyclopedia”.
BRIDGELAND/250 Airmail letter form CIBA, Switzerland “Your article ‘Maladjusted Muse’ is with the printer…” inviting MB to request free off-prints.
BRIDGELAND/251 Photocopy from Conference of Educational Associations publication. Rational Home-reading Union.
BRIDGELAND/252 Envelope (re-used, originally addressed to Mr Harvey, Taunton) labelled “Lyward” by Bridgeland, with “Maurice Bridgeland, June 11th 1988 in Harvey’s handwriting.
* 252/01 Letter from Lyward to Bridgeland dated 23 IX ’70 with strongly-worded comments on the draft of the book.
* 252/02 Typed draft of Chapter 10 Finchden Manor and Geaorge Lyward, with annotations by Lyward.
* 252/03 Extract from The Times Ed Supp 21.11.80; “Mr Lyward’s sin bin”.
BRIDGELAND/253 Buff manila folder labelled “Bibliography Preface Lyward Contents”.
* 253/01 Booklet “Advances in Understanding the Child” compiled by the Home and School Council of Great Britain, 6th edition, 1944. Contains 2 articles by Lyward.
* 253/02 Letter from Staples Press 4 December 1970 regarding acknowledgements.
* 253/03 Letter from Staples Press with suggestions for amendments to the text, 13 Oct 1970.
* 253/04 3 typed foolscap pages, two of corrections, one of abbreviations used in the text.
* 253/05 Two amendments for p 235.
* 253/06 Notes; Voluntary Aid Detachment; The Education of mentally handicapped Children Act 1970, ref to Circular 15/70.
* 253/07 Typed list of corrections for “Pioneer Work…” Headed “Printer”.
* 253/07 Typed list of corrections for “Pioneer Work…” Headed “Author”.
* 253/08 2 handwritten pages of corrections.
* 253/09 Extensive bundle of handwritten and typed corrections and revisions to “Pioneer Work”.
* 253/10 Wolsey Hall exam answer book listing Acts of Parliament, Parliamentary Papers, Regulations and Reports.
* 253/11 Fragments of typed text.
* 253/12 List of page references, page numbers missing.
* 253/13 Bundle of corrections and amendments with a label “Top copy & 3 others”.
* 253/14 Top copy and carbon of Part Five.
* 253/15 David Wills’ draft of the Preface for “Pioneer Work”.
* 253/16 Carbon copies (2) of typescript of Bibliography.
* 253/17 Notes to Toni(?), perhaps the typist.
BRIDGELAND/254 Bulletin of the British Psychological Society, October 1968. Includes obituary on Lucy Fildes.
BRIDGELAND/255 Letter from (illegible signature) Order of St Francis, thanking Bridgeland for returning a tape, and asking if he has 2 others.
BRIDGELAND/256 AWMC Easter Refresher Course papers, 1957.
BRIDGELAND/257 Four quarto ruled pages listing reference works.
BRIDGELAND/258 25 foolscap pages, typed list of members of AWMC. President Miss Eileen Younghusband.
BRIDGELAND/259 Quarto ruled page of reference works. See /257.
BRIDGELAND/260 Pink manila folder labelled “Useful articles” and “Manly Frensham”.
* 260/01 Quarto ruled page with notes in red ink (“to do” list?)
* 260/02 16 copies of a table contrasting social sciences with physical sciences.
* 260/03 Extract from The Guardian, March 2 1971. Article about Leicestershire comprehensive schools.
* 260/04 Front page from The Guardian, March 2 1971.
* 260/05 Page from The Observer, 9 May 1971. Article “Must we show children sex?”.
* 260/06 Extract from The Guardian, February 26 1971. “Parent puts plans for school reorganisation”.
* 260/07 Newspaper cutting (unidentified) with an article On appointment of Peter Searle as head of St Brandon’s girls school without having been a teacher.
* 260/08 Page from The Guardian, September 9 1970. Relevance unclear.
* 260/09 Handwritten note “Quote on individualism. John Wain letter to an American adolescent.
* 260/10 New Society, 16 July 1970, opened at page with announcement of appointment as head of Frensham Heights.
* 260/11 Cutting from The Herald (Farnham?), July 3rd 1970. Obituary for Stephen Hogg, head of Frensham Heights.
* 260/12 Unidentified cutting with announcement of ’s appointment to Frensham Heights.
* 260/13 Cutting marked “FH 12.7.70” \[Farnham Herald?\] with photograph of .
* 260/14 The Guardian July 6 1970. Article “Comprehensive confusion” re government policy on comprehensive schools.
* 260/15 Photocopy of pp 60 – 61 of a book with a suggestion for examination on a Social Studies course.
* 260/16 Anarchy, no 106. December 1969. Article on detention centres.
* 260/17 Despatch note from NFER Publishing to D J Thomas at Liverpool Univ. Special Education Dept, for 100 copies of “Bristol Social Adj. Guide”.
* 260/18 Cutting from The Times 18 October 1970. Article about Sussex Tapes recordings by top academics.
* 260/19 Cutting from The Sunday Times, 24 August 1969. Article on Sandy Hutson, US teacher critical of UK special schools.
* 260/20 Cutting from ??? October 31 1970, in which Lord Boyle remarks that he has never been able to converse with working people.
* 260/21 Cutting from the Mail with statistics about teenagers.
* 260/22 Cutting from The Guardian Feb 4 1969 “Drugs as adolescent way of life”.
* 260/23 Scap of newsprint with titles of books dealing with sex education.
* 260/24 The Guardian, Sept 7 1970 “Student Power”, report of Schools Action Union conference.
* 260/25 Typed essay on ‘the future of the school’, Society of Friends school in Essex (Saffron Walden)
* 260/26 Liverpool Daily Post, July 30 1970.
* 260/27 The Sunday ??? 1970. Article about Edward de Bono and lateral thinking.
* 260/28 Unidentified cutting referring to de Bono and lateral thinking.
* 260/29 Liverpool Echo Sept 25 1970. Article about children at Mosscroft School, Huyton using videotape in classes.
* 260/30 Cutting referring to university enrolment.
* 260/31 Daily Telegraph, Aug 25 1970. Teacher Unions to aid inquiry into training.
* 260/32 Cutting “Report says drug-taking will increase”
* 260/33 Sunday Times 6 Sept 1970 “Why do the young look like this?”
* 260/34 Cutting, Spectrum, Controversy in class.
* 260/35 Cutting, article on drug addiction.
* 260/36 Manchester Guardian Oct 22 1970 “Lessons for the teacher”.
* 260/37 Cutting “Poly super toy”.
* 260/38 Guardian, Oct 4 1968 “A parent’s guide to the new maths”
* 260/39 Rank and File, produced by left-wing NUT members.
* 260/40 Sunday Times Weekly Review 1 Feb 1970 “Race, Class and Brains”.
* 260/41 Quarto page, handwritten notes headed “Contacts suggested by J.L.”
* 260/42 Liverpool educational priority area project pamphlet “Educational Priority Areas: The Philosophic Question”. 1969.
* 260/43 Photocopy of “How to up the antis”, article about and the poetry of maladjusted children.
_BRIDGELAND/261 to BRIDGELAND/321 are unlisted._
BRIDGELAND/322 Pink file folder. Label on spine: "SPEC. ED" \[in pen\] "603" \[in green marker\]; "603" \[in green markr, picked out by blue pen\]. Label on back: "PET"
BRIDGELAND/323 Green file folder. Label on spine: "Anger & Fears & Phobias" \[in pen\], "Building" \[in black marker\]. Label on upper front flap: "G FEARS AND PHOBIAS". Label on lower front: "MATERIAL FOR SORTING"
BRIDGELAND/324 Buff file folder. Label on spine: "B MALADJUSTMENT"
BRIDGELAND/325 Pink file folder. Label on spine: "A COUNSELLING & ΨTHER".Note on inside front upper flap: "Ch Devt - Elspeth Earle"
BRIDGELAND/326 Pink file folder. Label on spine: "E SPECIAL EDUCATION ARTICLES & LECTURES". Label on lower front: "Lectures. 1)Integrating handicapped children; 2) Legacy of the pioneers; 3) History of Residential Treatment; 4) The Therapeutic contribution of the Residential School; 5) The importance of the teacher's role in dealing with handicapped children & their emotional problems; 6) The Story of my life Gurney Dixon; 7) Educational Provision for Children with Behavioural Problems. AS Neill obit. Spare the Child"
BRIDGELAND/327 Pink file folder. Label on spine: "MISC SPEECHES etc & LECTURES"
BRIDGELAND/328 Pink file folder. Label on spine: "USES OF ENCHANTMENT". Label on lower front: "USES OF ENCHANTMENT"
_BRIDGELAND/329 to BRIDGELAND/336 are unlisted._