Established in 1919 as ‘The Cassel Hospital for Functional Nervous Disorders’, The Cassel Hospital opened in May 1921 at Swaylands in Kent. In 1940 Swaylands was requisitioned by the army and the Hospital was evacuated to temporary premises at Ash Hall in Stoke-on-Trent. In 1947 the Hospital relocated again to Morgan House (aka. Lawrence Hall), Ham Common. In 1946 Medical Director Tom Main, and Matron Doreen Weddell transformed the hospital into a therapeutic community. Cassel became a leading centre for practice, training and experiment in the psychotherapeutic treatment of neuroses. The hospital became part of the NHS in 1948, and later fell under the remit of NHS West London Trust.