Richard Crocket was a medical doctor and psychotherapist. In 1941 he published "Observations on the Incidence of Neuroses in R.A.F. Ground Personnel" co-authored with RD Gillespie. In 1954 he was appointed consultant in charge of a psychiatric unit located within St. George's District General Hospital at Hornchurch in Essex, an outpost of the local mental hospital, Warley Hospital at Brentwood. Crocket remained the unit ‘The Ingerbourne Centre for Psychological Medicine’ and oversaw the development of a therapeutic community led by Hamish Anderson. Crocket published his first reflective paper "Doctors, Administrators, and Therapeutic Community" in 1960 before retiring from his post at Ingerbourne in 1979. In 1977 he appointed was also the lead psychiatrist at the Paddington Day Hospital.