Red Hill School was established in 1934 by Otto Shaw at Red Hill House, Chislehurst, Kent. It was initially co-educational taking children with emotional and behavioural difficulties but by 1947 it had become exclusively a school for boys. In 1935 the School moved from Red Hill House to Charlton Court in East Sutton, Maidstone, Kent. Over the next 50 years the School looked after over three hundred pupils, and at its height provided boarding education for 50 boys all referred by local authorities throughout the South-East. As founder, Otto Shaw become the first Principle, holding the position until his death in 1976. Allan Rimmer was appointed to take his place. He continued as Principle until the School closed 31 July 1992.